Calling all you flashers out there!

c4sman

No, not what you think...

In my past life of owning several TVRs there was an unwritten rule that you would always flash your headlights or wave at fellow TVR drivers when you saw them. It was acknowledgement that you knew there was a good chance that both of you were enthusiastic about cars and the brand and that you were going the extra mile to drive something that although not perfect, had bucket loads of character.

When I moved into Porsches, that didn't apply, as many (although not all) who drive modern ones are not car enthusiasts (or even brand enthusiasts) but just wanted a fast, flash sports car.

To me, driving a Maserati is closer in terms of brand to the TVR (from an enthusiast perspective at least), but would you ever acknowledge another Maser, or do you distinguish between and older car (bitirbo, 3200) and newer car (GTS, quatroporte)?

I have noticed complete strangers (not in Masers) waving in appreciation since having the GTS, and that doesn't happen in the 911.

CliveP1

blimey this is an old thing would do that in the old 1600gt cortina's and mg's who remember's when lorry drivers would flash you when you had overtaken them. the good old days.

conaero

Forum Owner
Newton, You should try it in country car parks late at night, I am rarely disappointed by the response ;-)

Andyk

I get flashed when in the M3 b other M3 owners.......Used to get it when had a 3200 but to be honest never daw that many back then...Used to get it all the time in the Lotus...

CatmanV2

I think I get about 50% flash response from fellow Maser owners. Not a great hit rate.

C

Parisien

Never been flashed nor have I returned the compliment.............basically....only 1 other around these parts......50 mile radius

P

Almichie

The mini community is I like this, every classic mini owner is the same. I've always carried on this tradition and for the most part have been pleasantly surprised!

Woody

VW bugs is the biggest group of owners for this in my experience.

I have often waved at other Maserati owners, and got nothing back! I find the older stuff (roughly, pre 2007 cars) sees a better response. Best response ever was a guy and his lad in a 3200 going down the motorway. Even had the wife waving back!

It was early days of owning the GS. She muttered something about the car being different to others I've owned.

I'm all for discrete waving if I see the car early enough.

zagatoes30

Alfa used to do it all the time then they start selling 156s and most new owners didn't have a clue. Still happens with anything pre 1990 though.

I flash other Masers, not that I see many though

mowlas

I find the same issue when giving way or letting other Maser owners out onto the road I'm on - there is no thank and no acknowledgement. Happens to me fairly frequently as I drive a lot in London.

I have two theories on why the poor response rate:

Theory 1: Maser owners are demure types - not showy; hence they are so busy being self-conscious about being in the car that they do not look out for or notice kind gestures from other drivers, let alone other Maser drivers

Theory 2: There are lot more pr*cks driving Masers nowadays

Perhaps we should put the two theories to a vote?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Oddly enough I get a better response from Ferrari owners. If not a flirty flash of headlights then a nod or a wave.

nfm

Yet to meet a Maser coming the other way; hen's teeth over here, especially Coupes.

Chrisbassett

If I'm outside London I'll wave or flash. Inside London I'll try with 32&42's or earlier, but QP's and GT's it's not worth it - either ignored or ignored...depending on their mood.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I've had more bewildered looks than reciprocal flashes / waves. As you say, Chris, more futile in London and the 'burbs than out in the sticks.

TridentTested

If I'm outside London I'll wave or flash. Inside London I'll try with 32&42's or earlier, but QP's and GT's it's not worth it - either ignored or ignored...depending on their mood.

London is a different country.

I wouldn't even think of waving at another Maserati in London - they would probably look at me like I had just got out of the asylum. When outside London I've never passed another so don't know.

It's the same with bikers. Outside London bikers will always acknowledge each other - no point in London, even when you come across someone on exactly the same marque and model.

Trev Latter

I think it makes a difference what you're driving/riding. Alfa 159 - never happens. TDM - usually get a wave off other bikers. Guzzi - Just about every biker waves.

You certainly seem to get more attention if you're in something older and perhaps a little more rare. Newish current models tend to get ignored as there is no way of knowing if it's an enthusiast driving or not. Location does make a difference too. City centres don't seem to attract friendly waves.

Me personally, I'll wave at anyone